Visual cryptography for gray-level image using adaptive order dither technique
|Published in:||Issue 2, (Vol. 3) / 2009|
|Author(s):||Nagaraj V. Dharwadkar, Amberker B.B., Joshi Sushil Raj|
|Abstract.||Visual cryptography Scheme (VCS), an emerging cryptography technology, uses the characteristics of human vision to decrypt encrypted images without requirement of complex computation. Naor and Shamir proposed the basic model of visual cryptography for binary images. Since then researchers have published many papers related to this model, but only few papers have been published related to gray-level images. In this paper, a new technique for visual cryptography of gray-level image is proposed, which uses first adaptive order dither technique to convert a given gray level image into an approximate binary image. Then, the existing visual cryptography scheme for binary image is applied to accomplish creation of shares. The overall effect of the proposed method is the achievement of visual encryption and decryption functions for gray-level images, where the quality of decrypted image is better compared to the decrypted image obtained by VCS using Space-filling curve order dither technique. This is shown by experimental results based on the objective measurement technique.|
|Keywords:||VCS, HVS, SFCOD, Halftone, Dithering.|
1. M. Naor, A. Shamir, Visual cryptography, Advances in Cryptology Eurocrypt ’94, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, Berlin, 1995, Vol. 950, pp. 1–12.
2. Verheul, Van Tilborg, Construction and Properties of k out of n visual secret sharing scheme Designs Codes Cryptography, 1997, Vol. 11, pp.179–196.
3. C. Lin, T.H. Tsai, Visual cryptography for gray-level images by dithering techniques, Pattern Recognition Letters 24, 2003,pp. 349–358.
4. Yuefeng Zhang, Space-Filling Curve Ordered Dither, Elsevier, Computer & Graphics, 1998, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 559±563.
5. Yuefeng Zhang, Adaptive Ordered Dither, Graphical, Models and Image Processing, January, 1997, Vol. 59, No. 1, pp. 49–53, ARTICLE NO. IP960414.
6. L.Velho and J. Gomes Stochastic screening dithering with adaptive clustering, in Proceedings of SIGGRAPH’95, ACM Computer Graphics, Annual Conference Series, 1995, pp. 273– 276.
7. Tomáš Kratochvíl , Pavel Šimíček, Utilization of Matlab for Picture Quality Evaluation, Institute of Radio Electronics, Brno University of Technology.
8. G.Ateniese, C.Blundo, A.De Santis, D.R. Stinson, Visual cryptography for general access structures. Information Computation. 129, 86–106.
9. M.Naor, B.Pinkas, Visual authentication and identification. Advances in Cryptology––CRYPTO’97 LectureNotes in Computer Science, Vol. 1294, pp. 322–336
|Back to the journal content|
This article is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.