Overview of Common Parallel Benchmark Applications and Suites
|Published in:||Issue 2, (Vol. 16) / 2022|
|Author(s):||DAVIES Isobo N., IKE Anireh V. E.|
|Abstract.||In the field of computing, there has been a growing interest in comparing supercomputers in terms of performance and how scalable computer systems are. New generation of massively parallel systems can now match the computing power of traditional shared memory and multiprocessor architectures. To be considered ideally parallel, a computer system must be linearly scalable and capable of deal with progressively more complex problems by increasing the number of processors while also maintaining machine efficiency and keeping execution time constant. In distributed systems, time- critical and high-performance nodes are required to meet the growing demands for storing, processing, and retrieving massive amounts of data while keeping the server's throughput in mind. In this paper, we present some of the nine (9) benchmark suites aimed at evaluating the performance of highly parallel supercomputer systems. These performances can come in the form of teams of speedups, scalability, or efficiency.|
|Keywords:||Parallel Benchmark, Benchmark Suites, Numerical Aerodynamic Simulation (NAS)|
1. Aad Van Der Steen. The benchmark of the EuroBen Group. Parallel Computing, Volume 17, Issue 10-11, December 1991, Pp. 1211-1221.
2. Aad Van Der Steen. EuroBen Benchmark Results for the Hitachi S3800. Paper presented at the Academic Computing Center Utrecht, Netherlands, Issue 32-32, September 1993, Pp. 1-11.
3. Aronis, S., Papaspyrou, N., Roukounaki, K., Sagonas, K., Tsiouris, Y., & Venetis, I. E. A scalability benchmark suite for Erlang/OTP. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the eleventh ACM SIGPLAN workshop on Erlang workshop, September 2012, Pp. 33-42.
4. Aslot, V., Domeika, M., Eigenmann, R., Gaertner, G., Jones, W. B., & Parady, B. SPEComp: A new benchmark suite for measuring parallel computer performance. Paper presented at the International Workshop on OpenMP Applications and Tools, July 2001, Pp. 1-10.
5. Bailey, D., Barszcz, E., Barton, J., Browning, D., Carter, R., Dagum, L., & Fatoohi, R. (1994). S. Fineberg, P. Frederickson, T. Lasinski, R. Schreiber. Simon, V. Venkatakrishnan, and S. Weeratunga, The NAS Parallel Benchmarks, Technical Report RNR-94-007, NASA Ames Research Center (March 1994).
6. Bailey, D., & Barton, J. T. The NAS kernel benchmark program (No. NAS 1.15: 86711), August 1985.
7. Bailey, D., Harris, T., Saphir, W., Van Der Wijngaart, R., Woo, A., & Yarrow, M. (1995). The NAS parallel benchmarks 2.0 Technical Report NAS-95-020, NASA Ames Research Center. Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rob-Computer Science Section 14
8. Bondi Andre. B. Characteristics of Scalability and their Impact on Performance. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the second international workshop on Software and Performance Ottawa, Ontario, Canada September 2000, Pp. 195–203.
9. Dixit, Kaivalya. M. The SPEC benchmarks. Parallel computing, Volume 17, Issue 10-11, December 1991, Pp. 1195-1209.
10. Dixit, Kaivalya. M. Overview of the SPEC Benchmarks. October 1993, Pp. 489-521.
11. Dongarra, J., & Gentzsch, W. The SPEC benchmarks. Computer Benchmarks, Issue 8, January 1993, Pp. 149.
12. Dongarra, J., Grandinetti, L., Joubert, G., & Kowalik, J. The MPI message-passing interface standard: overview and status. High Performance Computing: Technology, Methods and Applications, Issue 10, September 1995, Pp. 265-269.
13. Dongarra, J., Heroux, M. A., & Luszczek, P. A new metric for ranking high-performance computing systems. National Science Review, Volume 3, Issue 1, January 2016, Pp. 30-35.
14. Dongarra, J., Luszczek, P., Feautrier, P., Zee, F. G., Chan, E., Geijn, R. A., & Wismüller, R. (2011). Livermore Loops. Encyclopedia of Parallel Computing, Pp. 1041–1043.
15. Dongarra, J. J. The LINPACK benchmark: An explanation. Paper presented at the International Conference on Supercomputing, June 1987, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, Pp. 456-474.
16. Fan, W., Han, Z., & Wang, R. An Evaluation Model and BNenchmark for Parallel Computing Frameworks. Mobile Information Systems, March 2018, Pp. 1-14.
17. Glendinning Ian. The genesis distributed-memory benchmark suite release 3.0. High Performance Computing Center-University of Southampton, July 1994, Pp. 1-16.
18. Hesham, E.-R., & Mostafa, A.-E.-B. Benchmark Performance Advanced Computer Architecture and Parallel Processing, Pp. 51-78. New Jersey, U.S.A: John Wiley & Sons. INC, 2005.
19. Hey, T., & Lancaster, D. The development of Parkbench and performance prediction. The International Journal of High-
Performance Computing Applications, Volume 14, Issue 3, August 2000, Pp. 205-215.
20. Hockney, R., & Berry, M. PARKBENCH Committee Report-1, Public International Benchmarks for Parallel Computers: February 1994.
21. McMahon, Frank. H. The Livermore Fortran Kernels: A computer test of the numerical performance range (No. UCRL-53745) Lawrence Livermore National Lab., CA (USA) December 1986.
22. Naik Vijay. K. A scalable implementation of the NAS parallel benchmark BT on distributed memory systems. IBM Systems Journal, Volume 34, Issue 2, 1995, Pp. 273-291.
23. Raho, M., Spyridakis, A., Paolino, M., & Raho, D. (KVM, Xen and Docker): A performance analysis for ARM based NFV and cloud computing. Paper presented at the 2015 IEEE 3rd Workshop on Advances in Information, Electronic and Electrical Engineering (AIEEE), November 2015, Pp. 1-8. IEEE.
24. Saini Subhash. "Hot Chips and Hot Interconnects for High End Computing Systems". Paper presented at the M4, IEEE/ACM SC 2004, January 2005.
25. Touati, S. A. A., Worms, J., & Briais, S. The Speedup‐Test: a statistical methodology for programme speedup analysis and computation. Concurrency and computation: practice and experience, Volume 25, Issue 10, July 2013, Pp. 1410-1426.
26. Weicker, Reinhold P. "An overview of common benchmarks". Parallel Computing, Volume 23, Issue 12, December 1990, Pp. 65-75.
27. Weicker, Reinhold. P. "A detailed look at some popular benchmarks". Parallel computing, Volume 17, Issue 10-11, December 1991, Pp. 1153-1172.
28. Weiss Alan. R. Dhrystone benchmark. History, Analysis, "Scores" and Recommendations", November 2002, White Paper, ECL/LLC.
29. Wu Xingfu. Performance evaluation, prediction and visualization of parallel systems, Volume 4, February 1999: Springer Science & Business Media: 0792384628.
|Back to the journal content|
This article is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.