|Paper title:||Parallel Algorithms for Real-Time GPGPU Volumetric Cloud Dynamics and Morphing|
|Published in:||Issue 1, (Vol. 13) / 2019Download|
|Author(s):||JIMÉNEZ DE PARGA Carlos, GÓMEZ PALOMO Sebastián Rubén|
|Abstract.||Real-Time rendering of reliable clouds has become indispensable for state-of-the art multimedia applications. However, the cost of real-time for this natural phenomena has been a challenge in the last decades. This paper presents a new approach for cloud dynamics and rendering based on General-Purpose Computing on Graphics Processing Units (GPGPU) that achieves realistic cloud movement and morphing of 3D meshes with parallel paradigms. As a result we demonstrate a significant increment of performance by using Compute Unified Device Architecture (CUDA) technology in comparison with old-fashioned serial algorithms.|
|Keywords:||Natural Phenomena, Ray-marching, Algorithms, Fluid Mechanics, GPGPU, SIMD Parallelization, Morphing, CUDA, Radiometry, Computational Geometry|
|References:||1. C. Jiménez de Parga and S.R. Gómez Palomo, "Efficient Algorithms for Real-Time GPU Volumetric Cloud Rendering with Enhanced Geometry", Symmetry Journal, vol. 10, no. 4. Online.. Available: https://doi.org/10.3390/sym10040125
2. J. Stam, "Real-Time Fluid Dynamics for Games". Proceedings of the Game Developer Conference, March 2003.
3. A. Appel, "Some techniques for shading machine renderings of solids". In Proceedings of the AFIPS ’68
(Spring), Atlantic City, NJ, USA, 30 April–2 May 1968; Voume 32, pp. 37–45.
4. T. Whitted, "An improved illumination model shaded display". In Proceedings of the SIGGRAPH ’79, Chicago, IL, USA, 8–10 August 1979; Voume 13, p. 14.
5. B. Huang, J. Chen, W. Wan, C. Bin, J. Yao, "Study and Implement About Rendering of Clouds in Flight Simulation". In Proceedings of the International Conference on Audio, Language and Image Processing
(ICALIP 2008), Shanghai, China, 7–9 July 2008; pp. 1250–1254.
6. Harris, M. J., Baxter, W. V., Scheuermann, T., & Lastra, A. (2003, July). Simulation of cloud dynamics on graphics hardware. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGGRAPH/EUROGRAPHICS conference on Graphics hardware (pp. 92-101). Eurographics Association.
7. Y. Dobashi, K. Kaneda, H. Yamashita, T. Okita and T. Nishita. "A Simple, Efficient Method for Realistic Animation of Clouds". Computer Graphics (Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 2000), ACM Press, 19-28.
8. C.Yu and C. Wang, (2011). "An Effective Framework for Cloud Modeling, Rendering, and Morphing". J. Inf. Sci. Eng., 27, 891-913.
9. G.N. Paiva Amador, "Real-time 3D Rendering of Water using CUDA". MSc Thesis, Universidade Beira Interior, Portugal, 2009. Online.. Available: http://hdl.handle.net/10400.6/3864
10. T. Dieker, "Simulation of fractional Brownian motion". MSc Thesis, University of Twente, Amsterdam, 2004. Online. Available: http://www2.isye.gatech.edu/~adieker3/fbm/thesis.pdf
|Back to the journal content|
This article is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.