|Paper title:||An Evaluation of CAPM's validity in the Romanian Stock Exchange|
|Published in:||Issue 1, (Vol. 9) / 2015Download|
|Author(s):||COLESCU Camelia, PAPUC Elena-Ariadna|
|Abstract.||The present study tries to test the validity of the capital asset pricing model (CAPM) in the Bucharest Stock Exchange Market from Romania. The tested period for this study covers 3 years from 2011 to 2013. The sample is composed by 20 companies listed at the Bucharest Stock Exchange. The relationship between risk and expected return is being examined. It was found that the security market line’s slope is downwards sloping and negative and so it was concluded that CAPM does not hold. As a general conclusion there is a weak practical implication of the Capital Asset Pricing Model in Romanian stock market. Thus, other important variables should be considered to find an effective and appropriate pricing mechanism.|
|Keywords:||Asset Pricing Model, Stock Exchange Market|
1. Sharpe, W.F., (1964), “Capital asset prices: a theory of market equilibrium under conditions of risk”, Journal of Finance, 19(3), pp. 425-42.
2. Bradfield, D.J., Barr, G.D.I., Affleck-Graves, J.F., (1988), “Macroeconomic identification of the pricing factors on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange”, South African Journal of Business Management, 19(1), pp. 11-21.
3. Linter, J., (1965), “The valuation of risk assets and the selection of risky investments in stock portfolios and capital budgets”, Review of Economics and Statistics, 47(1), pp. 13-37. 4. Black, F., (1972), “Capital market equilibrium with restricted borrowing”, Journal of Business, 45(3), pp. 444-55.
5. Quo, Z., Perron, P., (2005), “Estimating and testing structural changes in multivariate regressions”, Journal of Econometrics, 12(8), pp. 547-573.
6. Hanif, M., Bhatti, U., (2010), “Validity of Capital Assets Pricing Model: Evidence from KSE-Pakistan”, European Journal of Economics, Finance and Administrative Sciences, 20, pp 140-153.
7. Eatzaz, A., Attiya, Y.J., (2008), “Testing Multifactor Capital Asset Pricing Model in case of Pakistani Market”, International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, 25, pp. 114-138.
8. Greonewold, N., Fraser, P., (1997), “Share prices and macroeconomic factors”, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 24, pp. 1367-1383.
9. 9. Hui, G., Christopher, J.N., (2008), “Return Volatility Is Priced in Equities”, Financial Management Association International, 37(4), pp. 769-790.
10. Jagannathan, R., Wang, Z., (1993), “CAPM is alive as well”, The Fourth Annual Conference on Financial Economics and Accounting, 23(8), pp. 2-57.
11. Blume, M.E., (1993), “The Capital Asset Pricing Model and the CAPM literature, in The CAPM controversy: Policy and strategy implications for investment management”, ICFA Continuing Education, New York, pp 5-10.
12. Watson, D., Head, A., (1998), “Corporate finance principles & practice”, Financial Times/Pitman, London.
13. Lau S.C., Quay, S.R., (1974), “The Tokyo stock exchange and capital asset pricing model”, The Journal of finance, 29(2), pp. 507-514.
14. O’Brien, J., Srivastava, S., (1995), “Investments: A visual approach-modern portfolio theory and CAPM tutor”, South Western, Cincinnati, Ohio.
15. Jones, C.P., (1998), “Investments: Analysis and management”, 6th edition, Wiley, New York.
16. Black, F., Jensen, M.C., Scholes, M., (1972), “The Capital Asset Pricing Model: Some empirical tests. Studies in the Theory of Capital Markets”, Praeger, New York.
17. Fama, E.F., MacBeth, J., (1973), “Risk, return and equilibrium: Empirical tests”, Journal of Political Economy 81.
18. Pettengill, G.N., Sundaram, S., Mathur, I., (1995), “The Conditional Relation between Beta and Returns”, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 30 (1), pp.101-16.
19. 19. Gomez, J.P., Zapatro, F., (2003), “Asset pricing implications of benchmarking: a two-factor CAPM”, The European Journal of Finance, 9(4), pp. 343-357.
20. Keogh, W.J., (1994), “The stability of beta and the usability of the Capital Asset Pricing Model in the South African context”, dissertation, University of the Orange Free State, Bloemfontein
21. Hodoshima, J., Garza-Gómez, X., Kunimura M, (2000), “Cross-section regression analysis of beta in the ups and downs of the Japanese stock market”, Journal of Economics and Business, Vol.52, No.6, pp.515-33.
22. Elsas, R., El-Shaer, M. E., Theissen, E., (2003), “Beta and returns revisited: evidence from the German stock market”, Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, 13, 1-18.
23. Zhang J., Wihlborg, C. (2004), “Unconditional and Conditional CAPM: Evidence from European Emerging Markets”, Foundation for Economic Research in West Sweden, pp. 1-19. 24. Roll, R., (1977), “A critique of the asset pricing theory’s tests”, Journal of Financial Economics, 4, pp. 129-176.
25. Yand, X., Donghui, X., (2006), “Testing the CAPM Model – A Study of the Chinese Stock Market”, UMEA University, USBE, pp. 1-44.
26. Loukeris, N., (2009), “An Empirical Evaluation of CAPM’s validity in the British Stock Exchange”, International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Informatics, Issue 1, Volume3.
|Back to the journal content|
This article is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.