Active Queue Management in TCP Networks Based on Fuzzy-Pid Controller
|Published in:||Issue 1, (Vol. 6) / 2012|
|Author(s):||ASHTIANI Hossein , POUR Hamed Moradi , NIKPOUR Mohsen|
|Abstract.||We introduce a novel and robust active queue management (AQM) scheme based on a fuzzy controller, called hybrid fuzzy-PID controller. In the TCP network, AQM is important to regulate the queue length by passing or dropping the packets at the intermediate routers. RED, PI, and PID algorithms have been used for AQM. But these algorithms show weaknesses in the detection and control of congestion under dynamically changing network situations. In this paper a novel Fuzzy-based proportional-integral derivative (PID) controller, which acts as an active queue manager (AQM) for Internet routers, is proposed. These controllers are used to reduce packet loss and improve network utilization in TCP/IP networks. A new hybrid controller is proposed and compared with traditional RED based controller. Simulations are carried out to demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed method and show that, the new hybrid fuzzy PID controller provides better performance than random early detection (RED) and PID controllers|
|Keywords:||AQM, Fuzzy Controller, Fuzzy PID Controllers, PID Controllers, Adaptive Hybrid Controllers|
1.. S. Floyd, V. Jacobson, “Random Early Detection gateways for congestion avoidance”, IEEE/ACM Trans. On Networking, Aug. 1993.
2.. S. Floyd, R. Gummadi, S. Shenker, “Adaptive RED: An Algorithm for Increasing the Robustness of RED’s Active Queue Management”, Technical report, ICSI, August 2001.
3.. C. V. Hollot, V. Misra, D. Towsley, W.-B. Gong, “Analysis and Design of Controllers for AQM Routers Supporting TCP Flows" IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 945-959, June 2002.
4.. S. Athuraliya, V. H. Li, S. H. Low, Q. Yin, “REM: Active Queue Management”, IEEE Network Magazine, 15(3), pp. 48-53, May 2001.
5.. Hollot C V, Misra V, Towsley D and Gong W B 2001 On Designing Improved Controllers for AQM Routers Supporting TCP Flows in: Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM (Alaska, USA) pp.1726.
6. H. Lim, K.J. Park, E.C. Park, and C.H. Choi, "Virtual rate control algorithm for active queue management in TCP networks," IEEE Electron. Lett., vol.38, no.16, pp.873–874, Aug. 2002.
7. Iannaccon G, Brandauer C, Ziegler T, Diot C, Fdida S, “Tail Drop and Active Queue Management Performance for bulk-data and Web-like Internet Traffic”, 6th IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications, Hammamet, 2001.
8. M. May, T. Bonald, and J.C. Bolot, “Analytic Evaluation of RED Performance”, Tel Aviv, IEEE Infocom 2000.
9.F. Yanfei, and F.L. Chuang: “Design a PID Controller for Active Queue Management”. ISCC 2003 (July 2003)
10. F. Yanfei, and Chuang: “Design a PID Controller for Active Queue Management”. ISCC 2003 (July 2003)
11. Ryu, S., Rump, C., and Qiao, C.: “A Predictive and Robust Active Queue Management for Internet Congestion Control”. ISCC 2003 (June 2003).
12. Z. Heying, L. Baohong, and D. Wenhua: “Design of Robust Active Queue Management Algorithm Based on Feedback Compensation”. ACM/SIGCOMM 2003 (August 2003).
13. I. Erenoglu, I. Eksin, E. Yesil, M. Guzelkaya, “AN INTELLIGENT HYBRID FUZZY PID CONTROLLER ” , European Conference on Modelling and Simulation, Wolfgang Borutzky, Alessandra Orsoni, Richard Zobel © ECMS, 2006
14. Akbiyik, B., Eksin I., Guzelkaya M., Yesil, E., 2005. "Evaluation of The Performance of Various Fuzzy PID Controller Structures on Benchmark Systems”, ELECO '2005, 4rd International Conf. on Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Bursa, Turkey, 388-393.
15. N. Matsunaga,S. Kawaji, 1991. “Fuzzy hybrid control for DC servomotor.” Trans. Inst. Electrical Eng. Japan D (111), 195-200.
16. E. Yesil, M. Guzelkaya,I. Eksin, 2003. "Fuzzy PID Controllers: An Overview." The Third Triennial ETAI International Conference on Applied Automatic Systems, Skopje, Macedonia, 105-112.
17. Y.H.Aoul, A. Nafaa, D. Negru, A. Mehaoua, “FAFC: fast adaptive fuzzy AQM controller for TCP/IP networks” , Global Telecommunications Conference, 2004. GLOBECOM apos;04. IEEE, Dec. 2004
18.. S. Keshav: “Congestion Control in Computer Networks”. PhD Thesis, published as UC Berkeley TR-654 (September 1991)
19. Bitorika, A., and al. “A Comparative Study of Active Queue Management Schemes”. ICC 2000
|Back to the journal content|
This article is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.